Game Over: Lee ends season without district win

Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 00:42 - Written by Chris Parry

ROCKWALL — Robert E. Lee grabbed the lead for the first time in district play thanks to a 22-yard field goal by senior Lumi Kaba with 56 seconds to play in the first quarter.

But then the usual suspects that have plagued the Red Raiders all season showed up: turnovers, penalties, missed opportunities, missed tackles and struggles in the passing game.

Rockwall-Heath then scored 34-straight points to defeat the Red Raiders 34-3 Friday at Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium.

The loss keeps REL (1-9, 0-6 in 12-5A) winless in district for a second-straight year while Rockwall-Heath (6-3, 3-3) moves onto the postseason.

The Red Raiders completed a third straight season with a new head coach and have won a combined four games in three years. It will also be the first time since the 1990s that REL misses the playoffs for two consecutive years.

Lee coach Darrell Piske said it was a difficult first year and he's anxious to get to work on rebuilding the once proud program.

"We are going to get in the weight room and start getting some self-discipline and get a little mental toughness about us, and start going to work on Monday," Piske said. "These seniors have had a rough four years, and you've got to be proud of them for showing up each day and working hard."

Lee junior Bryce Wilkerson produced a career-rushing effort in the loss with 165 yards on 14 attempts. Most of those were out of Wildcat sets with Wilkerson lining up in shotgun. He also nearly had a touchdown pass in the second half, but it ended up incomplete in the end zone.

Senior Marcus White in his final high school game, carried 16 times for 88 yards with junior quarterbacks Raleigh Poster and Christian Diosdado combining for 23 yards passing and an interception.

Rockwall-Heath quarterback Chase Schultz was effective running and passing with a team-high 126 yards rushing on 13 attempts to go along with 216 yards through the air and three touchdowns.

The Red Raiders drove deep inside Heath territory on five separate occasions, but could only manage three points. 

Lee got things rolling in the first quarter thanks to the Wildcat. A chop block put REL into a second-and-26 situation when Wilkerson lined up in shotgun and handed off on a jet sweep to White for a 32-yard gain. The Red Raiders continued to use the Wildcat, but were eventually turned away on third-and-goal from the 5.

Kaba's field goal still gave Lee a 3-0 lead entering the second quarter.

Heath answered with a TD on its second possession and the first of two hookups between Schultz and Shyon Motlagh to make it 7-3.

Lee came out in the Wildcat again and Wilkerson kept it himself, going up the middle before being run down after a 39-yard gain. Wilkerson tried a similar outcome on first down, but coughed up the ball at Heath's 31.

The Hawks moved the ball against REL's defense, but the Red Raiders stopped Heath on fourth and long from the Lee 18 with Teddy Matlock notching a sack for the turnover on downs.

Wilkerson went to work again, this time busting free for a 49-yard run and only a tackle by Heath's Jhaacuez Warren prevented a touchdown. The Red Raiders had first down at the Heath 18 and were able to move it to the 8 for first and goal.

Then another fumble.

This time Lee was unable to thwart Heath's momentum with the Hawks going the other way to make it 13-3 with three minutes left in the half.

A 40-yard kickoff return by Diondre Allen set REL up again in Heath territory, but an incompletion, no gain on a Wildcat run and finally a sack on Poster meant Kaba had to try a 57-yard field goal. Kaba had the distance, but it drifted just wide right to leave the score 13-3 at halftime.

"We really should've been up 17-13 at half," Piske said. "Bryce has got great speed and made plays, but really, he's also got to protect the football.

Things got worse for Lee in the second half with Heath scoring on its first two possessions to put the game away.

The Red Raiders now look to rebuild for 2013.

"It's frustrating; if you are in (this profession) long enough, you are going to go through a something like this," Piske said. "It's never any fun, but we've got get stronger offensively and get better at tacking on defense. We will be ready next year."


Rockwall-Heath 34, Robert E. Lee 3

At Wilkerson-Sanders Stadium, Rockwall

Robert E. Lee 3 0 0 0 — 3

Rockwall   0 13 14 7— 34

First Quarter

REL—FG Lumi Kaba 22, :56.

Second Quarter

HEA—Shyon Motlagh 7 pass from Chase Schultz (Ethan Smith kick), 10:23.

HEA—Rico Henderson 1 run (kick failed), 3:03.

Third Quarter

HEA—Motlagh 24 pass from Schultz (Smith kick), 10:47.

HEA—R.J. Williams 81 pass from Schultz (Smith kick), 9:08.

Fourth Quarter

HEA—Brandon Young 2 run (Smith kick), 6:35.

EST. ATT. —3,500.


First Downs 15 20

Rushes-Yards 45-268 40-273

Passing Yards 23 246

Comp.-Att.-Int. 3-12-1 15-18-0

Punts-Avg. 3-40.3 2-41

Fumbles-Lost 3-2 1-0

Penalties-Yards 8-71 5-26


RUSHING—Robert E. Lee, Bryce Wilkerson 14-165, Marcus White 16-88, Nicola Willis 6-24, Chris Manuel 3-5, Desmond Dunn 1-2, Diondre Allen 1-1, Raleigh Poster 4-(minus 17). Rockwall-Heath, Chase Schutz 13-126, Rico Henderson 16-93, Shyon Motlagh 1-34, Jake Fisher 2-9, Jordan Hoy 2-4, Brandon Young 5-4, Alex Solis 1-3..

PASSING—Robert E. Lee, Poster 2-5-0 16, Christian Diosdado 1-6-1 7, Wilkerson 0-1-0 0. Rockwall-Heath, Schultz 13-16-0 216, Hoy 2-2-0 30.

RECEIVING—Robert E. Lee, White 2-10, Cedric Brown 1-7, Diondre Allen 1-6. Rockwall-Heath, Motlagh 4-50, Fisher 4-49, Williams 1-81, Marcus Brice 1-19, Henderson 1-12, Parker Wood 1-11, Eric Cox 1-10, Preston Smith 1-8, Austin O'Dell 1-6. .